With so many student discounts out there waiting to be exploited, we wanted to provide a handy list of stores and retailers that regularly offer student deals, both online and in store. Offers include up to 50 percent student discount on laptops and other technologies, as well as up to 25 percent off restaurant food bills and takeaways. For all discounts you should present your student ID card at the time of purchase.Useful websites for finding discounts
- Save The Student – Provides free, unbiased advice on how to make your money go further, and lists temporary UK student deals to take advantage of (such as free drinks/snacks). It also has search tool to look for student discounts.
- Student Money Saver – Also features a range of student deals and discounts, as well as advice on how to manage your money.
Types of UK student discount cards and online codes
- ISIC (worldwide) – £12 a year, the International Student Identity Card (ISIC) offers discounts to students in 130 different countries. Although largely US-centric, an ISIC card is considered an accepted form of student ID in many UK stores.
- NUS Extra card (UK) – £12 a year, the NUS Extra card offers exclusive student discounts worth up to £500 a year to students in the UK.
- UNiDAYs (Australia & New Zealand, United States, UK, Ireland, Germany and Denmark) – UNiDAYS is an online student scheme, for which those studying in participating countries can register for free. UNiDAYS offers student discounts with brands such as Apple, ASOS and Urban Outfitters. Also available as a handy smartphone app.
- Student Beans – A site for student discounts in the UK, which features some offers that you won’t find on UNiDAYS, for example 10 percent off Oliver Bonas, reduced student tickets at Alton Towers and discounts on food brands such as Papa John’s.
UK student discounts for clothing
Watch out for the occasional 20 percent off offers!
- ASOS – 10 percent all year online (with an NUS or NUS Extra card or UNiDAYS).
- Boohoo – 10 percent off all year round.
- Burton – 10 percent off all year round.
- French Connection – 10 percent off online and in store.
- New Look – 10 percent off all year round.
- Office (footwear) – 10 percent off in store and online.
- Schuh – 10 percent off in store and online.
- Topman/Topshop – 10 percent off all year round – you’ll need to be a UNiDAYS member to get this online.
- Urban Outfitters – 10 percent off all year round.
UK student discounts for food
- ASK Italian – An NUS Extra card will give you 40 percent off your total food bill all day Monday and Tuesday, and 25 percent off your total food bill every Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.
- Dominos Pizza – 35 percent off online purchases of £25+.
- Giraffe – 20 percent off your food bill all day Monday to Friday and Sundays from 6pm. (with an NUS Extra card).
- Gourmet Burger Kitchen – 25 percent for students with the GBK app.
- Krispy Kreme - 20 percent off with an NUS Extra card.
- McDonalds – Free burger, mayo chicken or McFlurry for students with the purchase of any extra value or wrap meal. Valid until 31 August 2018.
- The Cooperative – 10 percent off grocery shopping in store (with an NUS card).
- Yo! Sushi – 25 percent off when you join the Yo! Love Club for students.
UK student discounts for entertainment/media
- Odeon Cinemas – Student ticket prices and discounts.
- Cineworld – Reduced price tickets for students.
- Spotify Premium – 50 percent off premium subscription (with UNiDAYS).
- The Guardian – 80 percent off digital subscriptions to The Guardian and other perks.
UK student discounts for health and beauty
- Boots Opticians – Save 25 percent on your first pair of glasses or prescription sunglasses, with every additional pair of glasses or prescription sunglasses half price.
- Supercuts – 10 percent off haircuts and services with a student ID.
- Superdrug – 10 percent off for NUS Extra cardholders. You also need to have a Beautycard (the store loyalty card).
UK student discounts for school supplies
- Foyles bookshop – Offers 20 percent off in store and online twice a year.
- Waterstones – Get 10 percent off with UNiDAYS.
- Paperchase – 10 percent off in UK stores and online with UNiDAYS, plus 10 percent off photocopying, printing and services in store.
- Ryman Stationery – The Ryman ‘Student Genius Club’ offers 10 percent student discount in store and online, as well as 10 percent off photocopying, printing and binding services.
- Cass Art – 10 percent off online with a Cobalt Blue Student Card.
- Amazon.co.uk – The Amazon Student scheme offers free one-day delivery for six months and 50 percent off Amazon Prime thereafter (making it £39 a year or £3.99 a month).
- Software4Students – Featuring student deals and discounts for Microsoft, Adobe and anti-virus software.
UK student discounts for technology
- Adobe Creative Cloud – 60 percent off Adobe creative cloud services.
- Apple for education – Receive up to 10 percent student discount on laptops and Mac computers and up to 5 percent on iPads with education pricing.
- HP – Up to 30 percent off HP products (PCs, printers, supplies and accessories).
- Microsoft Office – 10 percent off with UNiDAYS, plus a four year student subscription to Microsoft Office for £59.99.
- Norton Security – Save up $65 (approximately £46) on Norton internet security and antivirus systems.
UK student discounts for mobile
- O2 – 20 percent off your Airtime Plan, when you sign up to O2 Refresh.
- Vodafone – 10 percent off selected price plans.
UK student discounts for travel
- 16-25 Railcard – 1/3 off all rail travel in the UK (cost of card is £30 per year or £70 for three years). You can get 12 percent off a railcard with Student Beans.
- 18+ Student Oyster photocard – 30 percent off adult-rate travel cards for use on all Transport for London services (i.e. underground, overground, buses and trams). Only available to students living at a London address during term time and enrolled at participating universities in London.
- Megabus – 10 percent off all coach travel with Megabus (with an NUS Extra card).
- National Express Young Persons Coachcard – 1/3 off full-price National Express coach tickets (cost of card is £10 per year) for 16-26 year olds.
- STA Travel – Student deals and offers for round-the-world travel.
- Student Universe – Student discounts on flights, hotels, hostels and tours.
UK student bank account incentives
- Natwest – Free four-year National Express coachcard, giving you a third off coach travel. (Other perks include a gradually increasing overdraft.)
- Santander – Free 16-25 Railcard (see above) for four years with the Santander student bank account, saving you a third on all rail travel within the UK. The free overdraft limit is up to £1,500.
Note: Although these offers are tempting, never let the incentive be the main reason for choosing a particular UK student bank account. Consider overdraft limits, interest rates and whether there’ll be a branch near your university. You can compare student bank accounts and their current incentives here.
This article was originally posted on the QS Top Universities blog.